Pot Roast. Pot roast is beef dish by slow-cooking a usually tough cut of beef in moist heat, sometimes with vegetables. Tougher cuts such as chuck steak, bottom round. Pot roasts typically use the tougher cuts of beef—a chuck roast or shoulder roast—which have the most flavor.
It's mouthwateringly good, yet simple to make, especially if you use a slow cooker. Make it unique with beer, cranberries or wine! Pot roast was a one-pot wonder long before that was a term for homey dishes that are both inexpensive and require little hands-on cooking. You can have Pot Roast using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pot Roast
- Prepare 3-4 lb of boneless chuck roast, trimmed.
- Prepare 2 of large yellow onions; large dice.
- It’s 3 stalks of celery; large dice.
- It’s 3 of carrots; about 1/4" inch thick.
- It’s 2 of large Idaho potatoes; peeled & large dice.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic; creamed.
- It’s 4 C of beef stock.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 T of tomato paste.
- Prepare 2 T of fresh rosemary; minced.
- Prepare 2 t of fresh thyme; minced.
- You need 1/4 C of worcestershire sauce.
- It’s as needed of kosher salt & black pepper.
- It’s as needed of vegetable oil.
- You need as needed of fresh parsley; minced.
This dish has long been the Sunday night dinner that. Pot roast is a comfort food classic! Here's the easy way to make it perfectly every time! To most people, "pot roast" means slow-cooked beef with carrots, potatoes, or other vegetables added partway through cooking.
Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Season roast with half the thyme and rosemary, salt, and pepper..
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Sear roast on all sides and remove to a plate..
- Add onions, carrots, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Cook until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds..
- Add tomato paste. Cook 1 minute..
- Add worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any brown bits remaining on the bottom of the pot. Cook until nearly dry..
- Return roast to pot. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Cover..
- Transfer to oven. Cook for 3-4 hours or until roast is tender..
- Garnish with parsley..
- Variations; Cola, roasted garlic, bouqet garni, canola oil, bacon fat, crushed pepper flakes, red potatoes, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, acorn squash, scallions, chives, leeks, red wine, beer, root beer, oregano, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, shallots, pearl onion, asparagus, fennel, dried onion soup mix, chile puree, mushrooms.
The term actually refers either to the cooking method or the dish. Classic Sunday Pot Roast is an easy to make comfort food that is hearty, filling, and can easily feed the whole family. This recipe will work for a classic oven braise as well as in a slow cooker or Instant. Chuck roast is the key to this pot roast recipe. The meat has wonderful marbling that helps it get tender and melt-in-your-mouth delicious after cooking.